Tuesday, January 3, 2012

THE Sweater

So last April, I got this idea in my head. The idea that it's a great idea to make an Aran sweater, also known as an Irish Fisherman's sweater. I think to myself: I want a knitting challenge, what can I challenge myself with? Well a complicated sweater of course! That is a fabulous idea! 


And thus began my challenge....and my folly.


I got a pattern from a friend of mine who had an Aran book; I found some traditional-style, cream colored yarn (75% acrylic, 25% wool; I was making this for my brother as a Christmas present and he is 18 and cannot be trusted to take care of a 100% wool sweater); and I continued on my quest.


After a few false starts, plus blood, sweat, tears, and a great deal of cursing, I finished the back section of the sweater and started the sleeves (I generally try to make sleeves at the same time. Not only do I hate sleeves, knitting them at the same time ensures they are the same length). It was early to mid-June at this point and I had other projects waiting and I couldn't face the blasted thing any more.


So I took a break. I made other things, I cross stitched, which I had not done in a long time, and I generally put off THE sweater.


However, the summer couldn't last forever and I still wanted to give the sweater to my brother for Christmas. So I picked up where I left off. I finished the sleeves. Which made me feel pretty good about life.


But then it was September and I got some pretty yarn for my birthday that I wanted to play with and I found a few other things along the way... I put off THE sweater again.


Well, now I was really pushing it. The dratted thing needed to get done. So I sucked it up. I buckled down and finished the stupid thing.


I've never been so proud of anything in my life.



If you'd like to see more of my projects, you can find me on Ravelry: LibrarianInSts

No comments:

Post a Comment